Thursday, January 8, 2009

going German and Belgian- my Christmas chocolate stash

Like a siren’s call, chocolates tempt me relentlessly, viciously. I got sick a couple of weeks before Christmas so I was on my wits’ end. My sore throat was a clear product from the assault of all the sweets around me. I had to take a full dosage of my Zithromax antibiotics and fasted from sugar for a week so that I could partake of sweets during Christmas. I rather went cold turkey before the big day as I had to indulge in this one special time of the year.

And what do I have in store last Holiday season? Upon inspection, I realized that I unconsciously stocked up with German and Belgian chocolate candies! This really was no surprise as who else could offer the best? Looking at the pictures again makes me want to raid the pantry.

Feodora Chocolat Finesse . The box offers 3 variants of vollmilch-hochfein or select full-cream milk chocolate and in 4 packages- 2 as thin wafers and 2 as tiny finger bars. Coming in a 175g box, the chocolates are a sinful 565 cal/100g, costing me around 25 USD.

Feodora1
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/100s, f/4.0, 100mm, ISO 400, -2/3EV


Godiva chocoiste bars. An all time favorite by the Belgian chocolatier, these are individually wrapped bars in 6 flavors: milk chocolate praline nougatine, 72% dark chocolate, solid milk chocolate, dark chocolate extra dark ganache, milk chocolate macadamia and dark chocolate raspberry. I could not choose which one I favor most but I think I am partial to the nougat and the raspberry. The Belgian confection comes in 47g/bar packing 245cal each. Around 37 USD a box.

Godiva chocolate bars
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/125s, f/2.8, 100mm, ISO 400, -4/3EV


Hachez Selection, vollmish + bitter. The German chocolate are a delight to the eyes, coming in finger bars and thin rounds in 8 varying patterns. Ranging from full cream to bitter, they actually came out light to the tongue and not sharply sweet. It came as a 200g chocolate box at about 23 USD.

Hachez finger bars
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/160s, f/2.8, 100mm, ISO 400, -1.0EV



Hachez chocolates
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/100s, f/2.8, 100mm, ISO 400, -1.0EV


Toffifee. Probably the cheapest of my luxe boxes last Christmas, Toffifee is an old standby yet it never fails to lure me. Aptly advertised as “a hazelnut in caramel with creamy nougat and chocolate”, Toffifee is a German classic by Storck. The 400g box comes in two 24-pc pack at about 15 USD a box.

Toffifee
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/500s, f/2.8, 100mm, ISO 100, -1/3EV


Godiva Raspberry premiere biscuits. Godiva chocolates are not meant for the tropics and these biscuits melt at will in tropical room temperature. The wafers are so delectable that they dissolve in the mouth in seconds, sending me to chocolatey heaven. This is a splurge at 28 USD a 100g box of 15 biscuits. Calorie rating is 164cal/5 biscuits.

Godiva Raspberry premiere biscuits
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/80s, f/2.8, 100mm, ISO 400


I’m expecting some new arrivals in two weeks time when my mom coms back from the States. My sister and brother often would sneak in some boxes for me. Those chocos will have their time in the blogging sun.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: