Sunday, January 11, 2009

the Hundred Islands of Pangasinan

Ever since I was a child when I saw the Hundred Islands in a calendar, I was totally captivated. This natural wonder does invite some doubt. Are there really a hundred islands or is the name a hyperbole? The answer is yes, there are about 123 at high tide. Is the cluster of “hundred” really unique? Not really, Indonesia has a similar string of 105 islands called Pulau Seribu which in English means Thousand Islands.

Nonetheless, the the Hundred Island National Park is enchanting. Scattered over 18 square kilometers in Lingayen Gulf, they are tiny specks of coralline islands in Alaminos City of the northwest province of Pangasinan in Luzon. Three of the islands have viewing promontories and visitor facilities (Governor Island, Quezon Island, and Children's Island) but the rest can be accessed by boat.

I have never been there. I only had the pure luck to capture the Hundred Islands with my camera just one time in a plane, some 36,000 feet above land. Someday though, I really, really wish to see them for real.

the hundred islands
an aerial over the Hundred Islands

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Cristy said...

Your photo is beautiful. I was so fortunate to have been stationed at Cubi Point from 1978 - 1981. I was not afraid to drive my car out in the provinces and went several times to Hundred Islands. Back then, I would hire a boat and driver from Alaminos who would take me from island to island, letting me stay for however long I wanted to. He would also pull me water skiing, which was so awesome in that crystal clear water. There was literally no one else out there and I felt like the luckiest person alive to be able to experience such magnificent beauty. The people I encountered were the nicest people I had ever met. There were other experiences of a lifetime - meeting Freddie Aguilar in a small town in Pangasinan, taking a tanker down to Cebu, horseback riding in Baguio City, lots and lots of great people and food...all of which have had a positive impact on me to this day! I hope that you do have an opportunity to visit Hundred Islands sometime!

Sincerely,
Cristy

Anonymous said...

Cristy- thanks for sharing. You are lucky to have experienced all those and more.Truly, I wish I can visit the Hundred Islands someday.

Cristy said...

How neat that you are from Cebu - I had a wonderful experience there. I took a couple of black and whites of a classical guitar factory that I was quite proud of - I will scan them soon and share them with you. I cannot believe that you were at the WTC the day before 9/11 - that must have had a major impact on you and your mom.

I love your photos - your wife is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Cristy- again thanks for the compliments. my wife said thanks too! :-)

Robert E. La Quey said...

Hola Farl,

I just found your photo while searching flikr. I reposted it with a link to your blog on http://adoptanisland.blogspot.com/

I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Regards,
BobLQ

Manuel Dizon said...

this is an absolutely fantastic photo. I hope I can visit hundred islands some day