Tuesday, March 3, 2009

a different kind of aerial

Aerials need not be strictly landscapes as seen from above. On occasions, luck would not be on your side and the seats that you needed were already taken by others. As alternative, there is always the sky, or the clouds, or even the plane to photograph. Here are three images I have taken way up high, which to my delight, turned up quite well, if only to tell the story that I was there.


just above Bicol, the Philippines

Salivating was more like my feeling when I was on a plane from Hong Kong to Cebu. We checked in a bit late so we were not able to get a seat at the right side of the plane where the sunset can be viewed in our southbound flight (phototip!). I kept on glancing at the opposite window and the sun was glaringly red. Instead, I entertained myself by catching the wing literally turned rose pink.

puwa
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/25s, f/5.6, 55mm, ISO 400


sunset over Tarlac, the Philippines

Sunsets 35,000 feet above ground are different. You could not really see any horizon as the land is so far below. What you see are just colors above the clouds. This time, I was at the right side of the plane and this was what I saw.

sunset over Tarlac
Canon PowerShot S40, 1/200s, f/5, 12.3mm


over Laoag, Ilocos Norte, the Philippines

As much as I could, I would try to follow the plane's flight plan on the video channel as it is difficult to tell what's below when you are 30,000 feet above ground. That is how I would generaIly know where I was when a photo was taken. During daytime, nothing much happens and when bored, the clouds and the geometric forms of the window were fair game.

over Laoag
Canon PowerShot S40, 1/800s, f/8, 7.1mm

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: