Sunday, February 1, 2009

from the bowels of New York

The SUBWAY.

I knew that I will do a series. The bowels of the city of New York is a fascinating subject for countless of people and count me in. Inside a city insane by itself, the underground can be crazier. But not really. Mostly everyone move inside their own bubble that is truly their own.

guy with a red cap
at a platform in Times Square-42nd St station, midtown Manhattan, New York, the US
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/40s, f/5.6, 55mm, ISO 1600


Like most people, I find it difficult to take pictures in the subway as the subject might easily get upset. I know I would- I think. So trying to be unobstrusive is the key. But occasionally an opportunity will present itself, as when a crowd parts way to give you a peek of another passenger involved in her own world. Reading a book is all so common in subways- a ride after all can be as short as 5 minutes or 60.

Angels and Demons
in a train at Times Square, Manhattan, New York, the US
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/20s, f/5.6, 54mm, ISO 1600


Manhattan is crawling with cops who would accost you if you used a tripod. I had no choice but to prop my camera on the bench arm at the station. The position was too low for me so I was literally blind in taking this shot. I had to take two preliminary shots to point the camera in the right position. Then I waited for the train to breeze past my sister Lall and Mom.

speed
at the 5th Ave subway station, uptown Manhattan, New York, the US
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/2s, f/5.6, 18mm, ISO 200, -1/3EV

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: