Thursday, February 5, 2009

Marine abstraction- a series

I confess. I must have a love affair with the sea. The colors, the tropical warmth and the splash never fail to bring me to a different place. Whenever I am on a boat, I easily stray and work with my camera in creating images of abstraction. It is an ongoing series that I visit all too often.

#1

I don't know what speed the boat was traversing. It was fast. I wanted to capture the seemingly effortless slice in the water. The sun was too bright this morning and proper exposure in a wide aperture can only be done in fast speed which will only freeze the splash too sharp for my taste. I wanted the waves to be as dreamy as I saw them. The solution was to make the aperture narrow enough so that I can get to take a shot at 1/50s- the slowest speed possible with my incorrigibly shaky pulse.

waves
at the Hilutungan Channel, Cebu, the Philippines, January 12, 2006
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/50s, f/13, 55mm, ISO 100


#2

For several weeks at times, my life could be a series of overtime work, weekend report writeups and tense meetings. In our own way in this modern world, we are fast becoming experts in handling stress by default. When one set of visitors in the office requested that they wanted to go to a seaweed farm, I obliged. Occasionally, I get reminded that when things go rough, I still could get to visit the sea, on a weekday no less. Not bad at all.

pahulay
on the way to Hilutungan Island, Cordova, Cebu, the Philippines, February 17, 2006
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/80s, f/22, 55mm, ISO 100


#3

On occasion, the sea can be royally blue. It was not just the depth of the waters which created this hue but the sun was bright beneath slightly cloudy skies. I willed myself to teeter half-out of the bouncing falowa to get a clear shot of the ribbed side of the boat against the wild waves. I held on tight to my camera, with the strap secured around my neck, with my other hand holding on the boat for balance. As a warning, I need to admonish people that this stunt is not for everyone.

azul royal
on a boat from Sabtang island to Ivana, Batan Island, Batanes, the Philippines, April 22, 2006
Camera: Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/200s, f/4, 25mm, ISO 100


#4

This was in the same trip in Batanes. I remembered the waves were about to become more serious with us. The waters were still shallow though and the boat was trudging slow, trying to build up momentum. Always a captive to the sea, I was hypnotized. Well, almost.

almost still
in the falowa ride from on a boat from Sabtang island to Ivana, Batan Island, Batanes, the Philippines, April 22, 2006
Canon EOS 350D Digital, 1/125s, f/5.6, 55mm, ISO 100

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

knittingsandwich said...

wow- these are gorgeous!
amazing color

Anonymous said...

thanks so much! I appreciate your cvisit.